- Presence of oxygen and aerobic communities from seafloor to basement in deep-sea sediment. Nature Geoscience. 8:299-304. 2015
- A new DNA extraction method by controlled alkaline treatments from consolidated subsurface sediments. FEMS Microbiology Letters. 326:47-54.
- A new view of the tree of life. Nature Microbiology. 1:16048.
- Methylothermus subterraneus sp. nov., a moderately thermophilic methanotrophic bacterium from a terrestrial subsurface hot aquifer in Japan. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 61:2646-2653.
- Potential for microbial H2 and metal transformations associated with novel bacteria and archaea in deep terrestrial subsurface sediments. The ISME Journal. 11:1915-1929.