- Mineral evolution: Episodic metallogenesis, the supercontinent cycle, and the co-evolving geosphere and biosphere. Economic Geology. Special Publication 18:1-15.
- Deep Carbon through Deep Time. Deep Carbon: Past to Present. 620-652.
- Molybdenite mineral evolution: A study of trace elements through time. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2010. 93.
- Statistical analysis of mineral diversity and distribution: Earth's mineralogy is unique. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 426:154-157. 2015
- Carbon Mineral Evolution. Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry. 75:79-107. 2013
- Carbon Mineralogy and Crystal Chemistry. Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry. 75:7-46. 2013
- Carbon mineral ecology: Predicting the undiscovered minerals of carbon. American Mineralogist. 101:889-906.
- Cobalt mineral ecology. American Mineralogist. 102:108-116.
- Earth’s “missing” minerals. American Mineralogist. 100:2344-2347.
- Effect of dilution on the spin pairing transition in rhombohedral carbonates. High Pressure Research. 30:224-229.
- Mercury (Hg) mineral evolution: A mineralogical record of supercontinent assembly, changing ocean geochemistry, and the emerging terrestrial biosphere. American Mineralogist. 97:1013-1042.
- Mineral Species Frequency Distribution Conforms to a Large Number of Rare Events Model: Prediction of Earth’s Missing Minerals. Mathematical Geosciences. 47:647-661 .
- Mineral ecology: Chance and necessity in the mineral diversity of terrestrial planets. Canadian Mineralogist. 53:295-324.
- Mineral evolution. American Mineralogist. 93:1693-1720.
- Needs and opportunities in mineral evolution research. American Mineralogist. 96:953-963.
- Network analysis of mineralogical systems. American Mineralogist. 102:1588-1596.
- On the mineralogy of the “Anthropocene Epoch”. American Mineralogist. 102:595-611.
- Rhenium variations in molybdenite (MoS2): Evidence for progressive subsurface oxidation. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 366:1-5.
- Siderite at lower mantle conditions and the effects of the pressure-induced spin-pairing transition. Geophysical Research Letters. 36.
- Structure of siderite FeCO3 to 56 GPa and hysteresis of its spin-pairing transition. Physical Review B. 82.
- Using Visual Exploratory Data Analysis to Facilitate Collaboration and Hypothesis Generation in Cross-Disciplinary Research. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information. 6:11pp..