- Presence of oxygen and aerobic communities from seafloor to basement in deep-sea sediment. Nature Geoscience. 8:299-304. 2015
- Archaea dominate oxic subseafloor communities over multimillion-year time scales. Science Advances. 5:eaaw4108.
- Biological formation of ethane and propane in the deep marine subsurface. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 103:14684-14689.
- Endospore abundance, microbial growth and necromass turnover in deep sub-seafloor sediment. Nature. 484:101-104.
- Hydrogen Utilization Potential in Subsurface Sediments. Frontiers in Microbiology. 7:8.
- Metabolic Activity of Subsurface Life in Deep-Sea Sediments. Science. 295:2067-2070.
- Naturally occurring, microbially induced smectite-to-illite reaction. Geology. 47:535-539.
- Persistent organic matter in oxic subseafloor sediment. Nature Geoscience. 12:126-131.
- Radiolytic Hydrogen Production in the Subseafloor Basaltic Aquifer. Frontiers in Microbiology. 7.
- Relationship of bacterial richness to organic degradation rate and sediment age in subseafloor sediment. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 82:4994-4999.
- Subseafloor life and its biogeochemical impacts. Nature Communications. 10.
- Subseafloor sedimentary life in the South Pacific Gyre. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 106:11651-11656.