- Biogeography, Ecology, and Evolution of Deep Life. Deep Carbon: Past to Present. 524-555.
- Environmental controls on intragroup diversity of the uncultured benthic archaea of the miscellaneous Crenarchaeotal group lineage naturally enriched in anoxic sediments of the White Oak River estuary (North Carolina, USA) . Environmental Microbiology. 17:2228-2238.
- Deep Subsurface Life from North Pond: Enrichment, Isolation, Characterization and Genomes of Heterotrophic Bacteria. Frontiers in Microbiology. 7.
- Global dispersion and local diversification of the methane seep microbiome. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 112:4015-4020.
- Heterotrophic Archaea dominate sedimentary subsurface ecosystems off Peru. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 103:3846-3851.
- Microbial Communities in Methane- and Short Chain Alkane-Rich Hydrothermal Sediments of Guaymas Basin. Frontiers in Microbiology. 7:17.
- Microbial activity in the marine deep biosphere: progress and prospects. Frontiers in Microbiology. 4.
- The Guaymas Basin Hiking Guide to Hydrothermal Mounds, Chimneys, and Microbial Mats: Complex Seafloor Expressions of Subsurface Hydrothermal Circulation. Frontiers in Microbiology. 7.
- The metabolic potential of the single cell genomes obtained from the Challenger Deep, Mariana Trench within the candidate superphylum Parcubacteria (OD1). Environmental Microbiology. 19:2769-2784.
- Trends and future challenges in sampling the deep terrestrial biosphere. Frontiers in Microbiology. 5.