- An oligotrophic deep-subsurface community dependent on syntrophy is dominated by sulfur-driven autotrophic denitrifiers. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 113:E7927-E7936.
- Comparisons of the composition and biogeographic distribution of the bacterial communities occupying South African thermal springs with those inhabiting deep subsurface fracture water. Frontiers in Microbiology. 5.
- Eukaryotic opportunists dominate the deep-subsurface biosphere in South Africa. Nature Communications. 6:8952.
- Fluctuations in populations of subsurface methane oxidizers in coordination with changes in electron acceptor availability. FEMS Microbiology Ecology. 94:fiy089.
- New ecosystems in the deep subsurface follow the flow of water driven by geological activity. Scientific Reports. 9:3310.